Mikey Portable Speaker Well to start with I have been waiting to get my hands on this nifty little gadget for your iPhone for a while now, and Blue Microphones portable range has had a varied track record with Apple accessories, frequently scoring hits with aesthetically -designed Mac microphones, if you’re into that sort of thing?
I managed to get my hands on the Mikey which is a portable speaker that adds the extra loudspeaker and bass to where ever your location, which I found extremely handy being out and about a lot! Whereas Blue's computer mics are retro-styled, it’s the Mikey units for iPods have been expensive and limited in device compatibility, but after using it and testing its capabilities there is an understanding to the higher price range which is arriving in stores just as Apple releases new devices that don't work with them. That is unfortunate since the new ports designed by Apple do not fit in newer versions like the iPhone 5 and above, however, the old devices work and fit perfectly “Despite utilizing the same bottom-mounting Dock Connector found in most of Apple's pocket devices”.
Did You Know?
“ The human ear is most sensitive to sound that falls between the 1000 Hz and 5000 Hz range ”
• Mikey Digital switches between but can stay on automatic most of the time, switching it to quiet or loud modes when dealing with really quiet or loud audio sources.
• A hinge between the Dock Connector and perforated black plastic grille housing enables the microphone unit to ratchet through more than “200 degrees”.
• Inside Mikey Digital are twin condenser microphones, a 3.5mm line-in port, and a processor with pre-amplification, analogue-to-digital conversion capabilities and gain control.
• In addition to recording directly with its mics or the 3.5mm input, an included 1/8” adapter lets you connect instruments and other audio sources for direct recording.
The Not So Good:
• Mikey Digital’s Dock Connector plug is surrounded by a rectangular piece of plastic that completely reduces the accessory’s compatibility with some iPhone and iPad cases.
• The Mikey was brought onto iPod platforms at a stage when the newer USB port connections were changing, making most new available devices like the iPhone 5S & 5C not compatible.
I do have to say that the original 2009 version of Mikey didn't support the increasingly popular iPod touch, I had seen earlier versions but wanted this version due to having the iPhone 4s at the time and being a freelance photographer/designer I needed a decent portable speaker. However, the sequel for Mikey on iPod worked with all iPods besides the current iPod touch, only later Apple “promising some support for older iPhones”. I did love how handy and sleek the design was with being able to rotate towards you or backwards giving yourself the option to fully manoeuvre the positioning to suit, I know I liked being able to balance it tucked up in bed watching a film anyways!
Blue's latest version of its portable speaker range is called Mikey Digital mainly designed for current iPhones and iPads with an overall better bass range frequency I feel, while Mikey Digital does work with a number of present Apple devices, you may have to decide whether to devote so much money in a “soon to be discontinued accessory” range. But that is the choice of the user, of course, personally, I would recommend having the Mikey as a feature within a busy accessory needed lifestyle it was handy having some music while waiting for the perfect photograph (being a freelance Photographer). In conclusion, The Mikey portable speaker is a must-have gadget for older generation iPods and Blue’s web site also promises “support for the fourth-generation iPod touch”, let’s hope a new connection for iPhone 5C and 5S will be available as the Mikey does support an affordable boundary with good quality.
All Photography By KW Studio
We're product experts, helping local and national businesses boost their online presence through the power of visual. We have an in-house studio too, so we can create professional imagery with a fast turnover to help sell your product online. We can even help with your online campaign, targeting your audience and boosting your potential reach through digital strategy.
We can even create engaging unbiased product testing video reviews for your online or social campaigns, helping boost traffic, SEO and sales.
Feel like contacting us to see how we can help you? Don't worry we won't bite!